Isaiah Davenport

October 5th, 2010

B.: Little Compton, RI—November 3, 1784; D.: Savannah — October 16, 1827 (Yellow Fever)

Parents: Jonathan Davenport (1748—1785) and Sarah Thurston

Siblings: Dudley (1781-1862), Samuel (b. ? – d. Sav. Aug. 1820), Thomas

Occupation: “Carpenter”: Apprenticed: In New Bedford, MA

Arrival in Savannah: approx. 1808 (appeared on tax records 1809)

Marriage: Sarah Rosamund Clark on March 15, 1809; Minister: Dr. Henry Kollock

Lease: from Edward Stebbins—Lot 14 in Columbia Ward

Civic Life: 1810—firemaster for Greene and Columbia Wards, appointed to the Board of Health for Columbia Square (1824)

Additionally: purchased a top chair (tax records)

Buildings: worked for the city; Isaiah Davenport – Known Buildings,

1809 – June 19: a two story dwelling house (materials not specified) and “sundry out buildings” on lot 14 Columbia Ward, the lot rented on 7 year lease for Edwards Steffins on June 19, 1809. These buildings he sold to Steffins on 2 Nov. 1812 for $2,500 – and moved to a ½ lot 8, Washington Ward (which he had bought), 1810 – 122 Houston Street (lot No. Greene Ward), 1812 – Martello Tower at Tybee, 1814 – 124 Houston Street, 1817 – house for John McQueen, Jr. on Warren Square; He built but did not design this house, — his mansion on Columbia Square, – house for William R. Holland on Broughton Street, N.B. in yr. narration treat McQueen & Holland houses together – say better show them 2 his work but his chief . . . is the Mansion!

Offices: Elected to the Board of Alderman to represent Mechanics, 1817-22

Troubles: 1823—cited for obstruction of public ways; delinquent taxes

Church: Independent Presbyterian Church—pew #60 ($450)

Children: Susannah E. (1810-Oct. 8, 1814), Sarah R. (1812-June 12, 1813), Thurston W. (1813-May 8, 1814), Isaiah, Jr. (Feb. 27, 1815—Oct. 17, 1868), Benjamin Russ (June 25, 1817), Archibald Clark (1819-1892), Henry Kollock (Dec. 10, 1820-Aug. 18, 1872), Hugh McCall (Aug. 16, 1822-Aug. 1, 1881), Cornelia A. (1824-1853), Dudley (1827-1860)

Originally buried at what is now Colonial Cemetery; moved to Laurel Grove